St. John's Job Openings
Thank you for your interest in work opportunities with St. John's Episcopal Church, Midland. We currently have one paid job opening (Sexton) whose application deadline was November 1, 2017. We will begin interviewing candidates for the Sexton position in early November.
Should you wish to volunteer with us, we encourage you to consider how your gifts might match up with our ministries. Click here to learn more.
Position Title- Sexton
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Midland seeks FT (40 hrs/ wk, including weekends, before/after office hours, and “on-call”).
I. Position Title: Sexton
II. General Description - Keeps church building in clean and orderly condition. Provides light and heavy cleaning; furniture, equipment and signage setup & breakdown; routine maintenance of building & grounds including snow removal; basic troubleshooting of A/V equipment; and minor repairs. Purchases cleaning supplies as needed. Consults with the Buildings & Grounds Committee on repairs requiring external resources/ contractors, oversees the PT janitor who primarily provides cleaning services. Works to establish positive working relationships with parishioners, church employees, and community groups.
III. Qualification and Skills
- Must be able to lift, setup, and breakdown furniture, equipment, signage, etc.
- Must be able to perform minor repairs – carpentry, plumbing, etc.
- Must have general knowledge of building mechanical systems.
- Must have working knowledge of email, Microsoft Office software, and A/V equipment.
- Must be able to establish positive working relationships with parishioners, church employees, community groups, etc.
- Reports to the Rector.
- Oversees PT Janitor.
- Provides support to church groups/committees as needed.
V. Time Requirements
- 40 hours/week including weekends and before/after normal office hours.
VI. Training and Support Provided
- On-the-job training will be provided.
VII. Additional Requirements / Primary Responsibilities include:
- Ensures building is open/closed as needed. Includes monitoring temperature and air control, turning on needed lights, sound equipment, timers, etc.
- Works with janitor to perform light and heavy cleaning including restrooms, sanctuary, kitchen, office, classrooms, etc.
- Set-up rooms and equipment as needed for various committee meetings, community group meetings held in the church, dinners, coffee hour, etc.
- Performs setup and basic troubleshooting of A/V equipment.
- Ensures trash and recycling is collected and disposed of according to schedule.
- Clears walkways of snow and ice, and ensures safe walking surfaces.
- Performs some landscaping services not performed by outside sources; this includes leaf pick-up, maintaining pond and garden area, etc.
- Performs minor repairs using basic skills in carpentry, plumbing, etc.
- Purchases cleaning supplies as needed.
- Oversees part-time janitorial help.
- Acts as primary contact with contractors as needed.
- Documents daily, weekly, monthly, and annual tasks in order to create a “customary” for the Sexton position.
The application period for the Sexton position closed November 1. We are no longer accepting applications for that position. Thank you for your interest.