About St. John's
We live our mission of "linking lives in the love of Christ" through our ministries – loving God, loving our neighbors, and being good stewards of God's blessings.
In worship, study, fellowship and service, St. John's offers and invites opportunities for meaningful connection with God and each other.
We joyfully gather to pray, worship, learn and serve as we seek to follow Jesus, and invite all to join us on a sacred journey of hope and transformation.
Join us… as we seek to follow Jesus
Join us… on a sacred journey of hope and transformation
Join us… as we joyfully gather to pray, worship, learn and serve
Join us… in linking lives in the love of Christ
Get a quick glimpse of how St. John's loves & links lives:
Our Church Community
There is a genuine warmth and welcoming spirit here at St. John’s. The people of St. John’s value diverse expressions of belief and the process of discerning God’s truth and call for our individual and collective lives. We care about our parish family members and our neighbors near and far. Lay members have a vital role in the governance and ministry of our church; all our members are ministers of St. John’s Episcopal Church.
Visitors and long-time members alike have shared that St. John’s offers a balance of traditional and relaxed experiences. Connecting with others through Jesus shapes our lives, our relationships and our ministries.
St. John’s parish was organized in 1870, three years after the first Episcopal services were held in Midland, MI. 2017 marks 150 years of The Episcopal Church in Midland and we are celebrating in community throughout the year. Visit our Sesquicentennial page to learn more. Our first church was an old barn, dragged across the ice of the Tittabawassee River, and set on a lot at the corner of Larkin and Cronkright Streets. By the middle of the 20th century, worshipers were crowded in the pews and all available basement space, including a remodeled coal bin, couldn’t accommodate the Sunday school children.
Our current church (designed by Alden B. Dow, son of the Dow Chemical Company’s founder) was built in 1951 with the first services conducted in August 1952. As we entered the 21st century, funds from a capital campaign, St. John’s endowment income and parish families allowed for extensive renovation of the chancel and the construction of our Griswold House Ministry Center. The generosity of our past St. John’s families provided for much of what we enjoy today in both worship and parish programming: acoustical and lighting improvements, air conditioning, choir/ music rooms, a youth lounge, conference rooms for Bible studies & meetings, as well as staff offices.